The statistics regarding suicide are as followed:
- In 2007 suicide was the tenth leading cause of death in the U.S.
- There are an estimated 11 attempted suicides that occur per every suicide death.
- In 2007, suicide was the third leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24
I think it is horrible that anyone would ever consider suicide or even attempt suicide because there is always help and hope. The facts are:
- There is always a higher authority above the bully or abuser. Although it may be embarrassing or scary for you to report the incident and seek support there are people who will and can support your efforts to be protected and be safe.
- When you expose the tactics of your bully or abuser you help others from also being bullied or abuse.
- If you are being abused physically when you reach out for help you can be separated from the abuser. If you are being bullied and you expose the bully to a counselor, Resident Assistant, Dean, Professor, teacher, police officer you take away the power of the bully. If you are being harassed by gossip be confident to know that gossip dies as quickly as it begins.
- I know that some situations may be very devastating but rest assure that there are those within your city or state that have gone through the same or similar situation. Therefore there are FREE counseling, advice and resources available to you locally to assist you immediately. Call 1-800-273-8255, and a counselor will refer you to a local organization that can immediately help you in the situation that you are in. If you or someone you know has thoughts or mentioned they want to hurt themselves call 911 immediately.
- The abuser or bully is only in your life for a season. The season may be grade school, high school, a semester, a class, or an organization. Once that chapter of your life is over they are out of your life and out of your sight. If you are experiencing abuse in your family, that person can be removed from your life. Nevertheless you do not have to endure bullying and abuse the situation can end immediately when you reach out for help. Someone will and can put a stop to it.
- Many times thoughts and attempts of suicide are a result of mental illness or substance abuse. If you or someone you know is not taking their prescribed medication or has been abusing drugs (prescription or street-drugs) or alcohol. Please call 911.
- I am sure that there are people in your life that love you. Your life is valuable to them. You also need to know that there are people who will enter your life that will love and adore you. Your life should not revolve around a bully or gossip.
Suicide is not a solution, it is not the answer to resolve any issue. Please call the suicide prevention hotline for more information and resources, 1-800-273-8255.